Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The flowering brigade for Thursday morning, October 18, 2012.


The most speccy rose at the moment is most definitely Fruhlingsduft...I keep on falling in love with this superb shrub rose over and over again. It is totally clothed in bloom in all stages from scrolled buds to fully open flowers revealing pollen-tipped stamens...as can be seen above, the bees absolutely adore it. The scent draws a passerby in from several feet away- this would honestly have to go very close to being the perfect rose.


Above: My clove-scented little hybrid rugosa, Lydia Frances, is always one of the earliest Spring flowerers.

Above: One of my favourite Bourbon roses, the softly striped Honorine de Brabant.


Above: The beautiful rose named for my beautiful aunt..."Aunty Ann's Rose", given to me as a cutting from her own garden in Tungamah, Victoria, in 2005.


Above: The buds of Aunty Ann's Rose.


Above: I have several big established plants of the tea rose Mrs B.R Cant, and every one of them is smothered with nodding blooms. I picked two blooms on my garden walk and they are sitting next to my keyboard, filling my working space with fragrance.


Above & Below: Fantastic garden specimen Rosa Inermis Morlettii with its beautiful deep maroon branches and bright clear pink blooms. It has a fabulous arching habit that makes it a worthwhile garden shrub even when the long Spring flowering period is over.




Above: Susan Irvine's rugosa rose "Bleak House" is putting on a brilliant display at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment