Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mittagong Gallica



I was amazed to spy this little rose flowering in the garden this morning...it was in the harshest spot in the entire garden- the south-west corner- that comes under the influence of a huge old gum tree and never gets watered or tended to at all. It is the domain of a seedling White Cedar tree, various suckering seedling rugosas and a lonely specimen of Lord Penzance. So to see this unexpected little bloom amongst that crew made me investigate further. Thankfully a faded plastic name tag lay at the base of the plant, and on it I was just able to make out the words "Mittagong Gallica". This rang a faint bell as a rose given to me by old rose saviour Jane Zammitt, and I was delighted to discover that it was still alive and doing well. It has suckered nicely withing a couple of feet of the original plant, so with any luck (and a bit of TLC) Mittagong Gallica is here to stay. I can't find any information at all about this rose, so if anyone knows anything of its provenance I would love to hear from them.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment