Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lady Hillingdon






The beautiful tea rose pictured above is still a baby in my garden, although I do have an older one in another section known as "Pop Oakley's Garden" in memory of my beloved grandfather who died in 2000. Unlike other teas grown here, this rose has remained relatively small, reaching a height of only 4 or 5 feet. The newer of the two plants has taken a while to settle in, but has started to take off this season. Both are grafted plants, and I would like to try growing her on her own roots as I find tea roses thrive under their own steam rather than grafted onto another understock.

Lady Hillingdon was introduced into commerce in 1910, and she opens a rich apricot yellow colour before gradually fading to a softer shade. Like all of the tea roses, she has a wonderful fragrance, and is very hardy in this area.




No comments:

Post a Comment