Sunday, November 27, 2011

Unknown Rambler









I would love to know the name of this big white rambler. Its Spring display is long and lovely, and it has extremely healthy foliage. It would make a wonderful high screening hedge. My old rose map book has "Tumbarumba Schoolhouse" recorded in this position, but from sketchy memory this rose is not white. Scrawled in the margin of the map book in very messy writing (obviously written whilst wandering around the garden with book in hand), it says "Cottage White" multiflora planted 15-9-96. I wonder if "Cottage White" multiflora is identical to "Cottage Pink" except for colour.... if it is this rose is definitely NOT Cottage White, as Cottage Pink is single. Suggestions, anyone????

POST SCRIPT: Thanks to the very kind and most helpful assistance of a fellow rose gardener named Tricia, I now have positive confirmation that I do NOT have Tumbarumba Schoolhouse growing anywhere in my garden, so my two specimens from many moons ago must have gone to the big compost heap in the sky. That leaves the number one suspect for this rose as being "Cottage White" if my dodgy rose map book is anything to go by.

Tricia has given me permission to publish her photos of Tumbarumba Schoolhouse in this blog as the only record of this elusive rose found anywhere on the internet...many thanks indeed!



No comments:

Post a Comment