Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Duchesse d'Auerstadt










This old Noisette rose, which goes by the unwieldy name of Duchesse d'Aeurstadt, is an absolute cracker...I just love it! She is the most beautiful of golden climbers, and flowers in huge flushes. Her flowers tend to nod a little, which is a perfect trait in a climber as you look up into the full glory of each bloom. Our specimen has grown up a dead crab apple on one side, and through an old metal arch on the other. She would be a climber suited to any situation, and has needed no coaxing to go where she was required.


This beautifully perfumed rose would most definitely be my number one choice where a golden yellow climber was needed, which is surprising as I am not a huge fan of the Noisettes. Crepuscule I can admire in mass display, but it doesn't thrill me, and Blush Noisette is an absolute pain in that spent blooms don't drop cleanly from the plant and marr the beauty of those blooms just coming into maturity. Even Lamarque and Mme Alfred Carriere are "Meh!" roses for me...I am at a loss to define why- they just don't capture me heart and soul like the teas, hybrid musks and old Austins do.








1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful rose! Lovely pictures, too. I especially like that combination, in the middle picture, of the Duchesse with the chartreuse of spurge(?) and the silvery grey eucalyptus trunks in the background. Absolutely perfect! So - it has sparked off some new ideas for what to do with an area of my (rather small) garden that I've been stuck on for a while - thankyou! If you do happen to read this (I see these are old posts) I would be interested to know if that is spurge, and if so, what kind?

    ReplyDelete