Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sparrieshoop







Sparrieshoop is one of the German-bred Kordes roses, one of several Kordes roses that I grow and, I must admit, my least favourite. That is not to say that I dislike this rose..in fact, there is absolutely nothing negative to dislike. It's just that it doesn't "grab" me like Fruhlingsgold, Fruhlingsmorgen and Fruhlingsduft do, despite its full-on Spring display.

In various open garden days here at 'Eurimbla', people were drawn to Sparrieshoop from afar like bees to a honeypot, exclaiming "What IS that rose???" I grow it between Fruhlingsgold and the Bourbon rose Mme Isaac Pereire, and it is very spectacular in full bloom. For some reason, though, it just doesn't capture my soul, in the same way that I have never been able to warm to everyone's favourite Crepuscule.





No comments:

Post a Comment