Monday, October 31, 2011

New Dawn





Not one of my favourite roses, but probably because it hasn't performed to its obvious potential due to drought, tree-lopping and ME...it really wasn't suited to be placed with the big mounding ramblers to begin with.


New Dawn really needs something to climb..it initially had a gum tree and wires to climb up and along here until both were removed in about 2009. I had actually assumed that my plant had been lost until it started flowering a week ago. With nothing to climb upwards on it has started sending its long arms out sideways and has reached the fence, so all may now be well.


New Dawn is an American rose dating from 1930. It is a repeat bloomer, and its flowers are strongly fragranced. I could live without it in the garden and if it died I wouldn't replace it, but I'm quite happy to let it wander where it will amongst the ramblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment